Saturday, November 2, 2013

Tomato Chicken Curry


I originally planned to BBQ the chicken breasts but when it got near dinner time I started to think a nice curry would suit the rainy evening better. I didn't have any coconut milk so my usual curry wasn't possible.  I do have lots of tomato paste though, so an Indian Butter Chicken style curry was certainly doable. 

I started by dicing everything up.  Trying to cut ingredients up while cooking other ingredients leads straight to failure.  Have everything ready to go and everything will go far more smoothly. The onions went in first, finely diced carrots were next. Salted and floured cubed chicken with plenty of oil next. When it had a nice sear all around I added the remaining vegetables and a tablespoon of curry powder. Stir it all around for a minute then add chicken stock and half a can of tomato paste.  (I used a whole can and it was too acid) 

Keep adding chicken stock till the sauce thins out.  When it's bubbling add a small hand full of pineapple pieces (leave out for more pungent curry) and some frozen peas.  When the peas are done it should be ready. Serve over basmati rice. I use basmati for everything, it has a slight floral note which is very appealing.

This was really good, I'll definitely make it again! It would have been even better with half the tomato paste. Raisins or a chutney can be used instead of pineapple pieces too. Curry tends to be a little bitter so a little sweetness usually improves the flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment