Friday, November 8, 2013

Pork Tenderloin Souvlaki-ish


I forgot to photograph the plate before I started eating but it was so good I had to capture and write about it. Fern was coming home from a trip to Vancouver so I had to have something flexible in timing. I was thinking of chicken, maybe a curry, till I saw the pork tenderloin and decided on souvlaki.  When I got home I cut the tenderloin into large pieces, chopped up two tablespoons fresh oregano and 3 cloves garlic and combined that with a tablespoon oil and 2 or 3 ounces white wine to make a marinade.  I salted and peppered the pork then put it in the marinade. A little extra salt in the marinade and put it in the fridge till dinner time.  

Plain white rice is fairly flexible about being served and so is salad.  I put rice in the microwave and cut up a handful of cherry tomatoes.  I peeled, sliced and quartered a small cucumber and chopped some chives.  All that into a large bowl with feta cheese, black olives, a dash of olive oil, rice oil and lemon juice. Add salt, black pepper and toss. I usually put soy sauce on my rice but this time I left it plain to see how the meat flavoured the rice. Glad I did, it was wonderful!

Three times during the meal Fern said it was really good, I usually only get one 'it's good'! I'm fairly certain it was my Chardonnay that leant this dish it's spectacular flavour. It costs me about $5 per bottle at the U-Vin shop with Wine Expert kits. All I had to do was add the yeast at the beginning and bottle it at the end, they do all the rest. The quality is outstanding, far better than I expected. I'm so glad I gave them a try! This meal justifies the investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment