Saturday, September 29, 2012

Curry Snapper




I keep trying different things with food and tonight I thought I'd see what curry on snapper is like.  I got the potatoes going and the vegetables prepped ready to go.  Snapper bones run from the center of the head end about half way to the tail. The rest should have been cut out by the fish monger but feel around the whole fillet for any that were missed.  Also cut off any small bits of skin. Snapper skin tastes horribly fishy and unpleasant so don't leave even small pieces attached.

I mixed curry powder, salt and cayenne in a small bowl and used that to season the fish.  While everything was cooking I was just standing there with nothing to do and I thought, "I could make a little sauce to go on the fish. Even just open a can of coconut milk and heat a little up... Then I'd have to figure out what to do with the rest of the coconut milk." So I didn't make a sauce, to my chagrin.

The fish tasted interesting but like something was missing. It wasn't bad or good, it was just interesting. If I had warmed up some coconut milk or even made a little lemon sauce it would have lifted the dish from interesting to delicious. Curried snapper has real potential so I'll do it again but it definitely has to have a sauce, even if it's just warmed up coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment