Saturday, May 4, 2013

Extra Juicy BBQ Boneless Chicken Breast


I spent the day in the garage building a plant potting cart from the double SS sinks Fern found somewhere. It turned out great but I was too tired to struggle with a complicated meal. I felt like chicken but I didn't feel like making stock, so I didn't, I simply boned the breasts and turfed the bones.  I did fry the skins for the dogs and I simply salted and then seasoned the breasts with:

Southwest Spice Rub

2 tbsp  chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp cayenne (optional, but it really helps)

and put them on the BBQ. To fill the plate I just put rice on to cook and readied frozen corn for the microwave. I put soy sauce on my rice but Fern likes his white so that's how I serve it.

I grilled the chicken over medium low heat in a 2 min x 2 min, turn over, 2 min x 2 min to get the crossed grill marks on the chicken.  I've been wondering lately if grill marks in only one direction would look better on chicken. I'll try that next time. Anyway, once marked I put the breasts off the heat in the center of the BBQ to finish roasting for 25-30 minutes total cooking time. The BBQ stays somewhere between 300-500 degrees as it is opened and closed.

Usually the chicken fat left over from the skins I cool and put in the garbage but this time I had an idea. I poured the fat over the chicken on the BBQ and moved it off the flame so the fat didn't burn. What a difference it made! The fat carried the spice rub into the meat and cooked the juices coming out, that's what the white fluff is on the meat where it was nicked. The result of sloppy knife work on my part. It looked a lot more appetizing on the plate than it does in the photo. 

That one little addition turned this "It's hot food, just eat it." meal into a taste sensation!



No comments:

Post a Comment