Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spaghetti with Spinach and Arugula Salad


I removed a wisteria vine from the backyard before it destroyed the fence.   I haven't worked that hard in years, I'm stiff, sore and tired. So what to make for dinner? Fern said "Spaghetti?"
"Perfect. Sauce is in the freezer!"
Relieved at not having to go shopping I rested a bit.  When it was time to boil water for pasta and reheat sauce, I thought it would be nice to have a little salad too. I harvested as much arugula as the plants would give and put a handful of walnut pieces on a tray in the toaster oven.  Half a toaster cycle cooks off the bitter taste on the nuts.

I tore all the spinach and arugula leaves in half and put them in a bowl with the nuts.  I took a small chunk of cheddar cheese (feta would be better) and cut small cubes into the salad.  In a separate bowl I put 2 teaspoons walnut oil and 1 teaspoon rice vinegar. A pinch of salt, mixed pepper, whisked it up and tossed the salad with the dressing.

It was all very good and most importantly, we both ate our salads. When I make a large salad it looks like a huge challenge after a plate of pasta but this small salad was just right. I described the sauce the other day and the pasta is Barilla so there's not much to write about the spaghetti.


No comments:

Post a Comment