Sunday, May 26, 2013

Southwest Chicken with Corn on the Cob



Fern said 'fish or chicken' when I was leaving so it didn't take long to settle on a few nice chicken breasts.  I quickly boned the breasts, got stock going and put the skins on to crisp when I got home.  I seasoned the breasts with:

Southwest Spice Rub

2 tbsp  chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp cayenne (optional, but it really helps)

I put the breasts over the flame on the BBQ for about two minutes each side then moved them to the center, off the heat to roast. It takes 25-30 minutes total cooking time for the chicken breasts. About half way through I poured the chicken fat rendered from the skins over the breasts. 

Corn on the cob I put in a pot of water and simmered for 15-20 minutes. Finished with butter and salt. The rice is plain basmati.  I like soy on mine but Fern likes his white.

Ryan helped in the garden today so he stayed for dinner too.  He really liked the spice rub, it was the best chicken he's had in a while. In the photo the meat is fullly cooked and it is still moist. That is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment