Sunday, May 5, 2013

Roast Pork


I felt like pork today and the best buy was a sirloin roast so I picked one up.  I sliced the fat on top into a diamond pattern and brined it in 3 cups water, 1 tablespoon molasses, 1 tablespoon sugar and 3 tablespoons salt. It soaked for about 3 hours.  I inserted a meat thermometer and laid 3 bay leaves, a sprig of thyme and one of rosemary. It roasted at 325ºF for about 2 hours.  I took it out of the oven and covered it in foil on the cutting board.  It rested at least 20 minutes so the juices were drawn back into it.  If I don't let it rest, all the moisture escapes as steam when it's cut and the meat is dry.

Mashed potatoes shouldn't need explanation, but somewhere among my posts there is a description.  The carrots went in the steamer first, followed by the broccoli and when the broccoli was almost done I drained it all and finished it in xv olive oil on medium low heat.

There were some pan drippings so I made a little gravy with it and it was phenomenal.  I put a teaspoon of flour in the pan, worked it into the fat and cooked it a minute.  Then in went 1/2 cup chicken stock.  That was it, just stir and serve over the potatoes and meat.  All the flavor from the meat, brine and herbs was in the gravy.  That's my best gravy to date.



No comments:

Post a Comment