Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pan Fried Snapper


Fern was using my truck to transport the kayaks so I dusted off my electric bike and headed off to the store with fish in mind for dinner. Snapper was on special, one of our favourites. I bought a nice 300gm filet (a bit over half a pound), picked up a few other items and headed home. A warm day like this in May I've never seen in my 33 years on this coast, it was a beautiful ride home. 

First I mixed up some

Snapper Rub

1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp cumin

There isn't enough salt in my rubs so I salt the fish first then sprinkle the rub over. Of course before seasoning I removed the bones, there's usually 5 or 6 bones down the center from the head. I pull them out with a pair of pliers. 

I had potatoes on and got the carrots into the steamer.  At the carrots half way point I added the broccoli to the steamer. The snapper went into hot oil in a frying pan.  I watch the color change move up as the meat cooks, when it reaches the middle, turn it over. (by color change I mean from translucent to opaque white. The change is subtle.) It helps to have pieces of fish not much bigger than the lifter, they're easier to turn. Cut a large piece in two to make it more manageable.

Tartar Sauce

2 parts Mayonnaise 
1 part sweet green relish

Don't make too much, my snapper is drowning in it. I steel feel compelled to finish the last of something if it will go directly to my artery walls.  The broccoli was almost done so I drained the vegetables and put them in a pot with xv olive oil on medium low heat to finish cooking. I mashed the potatoes and added butter, salt and milk then whipped them with a fork.  Don't over process potatoes, they turn to paste.

All in all it was a pretty good meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment