Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Savory Chicken on the BBQ


I finished the new enlarged chicken run today so I wasn't in the mood to bone chicken and make stock, but I did it anyway.  Then I pounded the breasts to double in size and seasoned both sides with salt, mixed pepper, paprika, savory and fresh garlic. Then I laid a sprig of thyme and one of rosemary on each breast and sprayed them with oil. Then I put them in the BBQ for 20 minutes total cooking time. I put them over the heat for a few minutes to get some grill marks then moved them off the heat to let them roast. 

I put the bones, an onion cut in half, a carrot cut big, a stick of celery cut large, a bay leaf and a clove of garlic with skin in a pot of water and brought it to a boil.  Once it boiled I skimmed off the foamy goop on top, that's what makes stock cloudy. Then I turned it down to simmer for 30 minutes. So I have fresh stock for sauces, soups, gravies, the dog's food when he whines it isn't good enough.

That left the skins which I put in a small frying pan fry till crispy on both sides then give them as a treat for the dogs.  That leaves a pan of chicken fat.  I put the chicken fat on the chicken in the BBQ at about it's half way point which adds both flavor and moisture.

The potato salad was potatoes cut small cooked and cooled.  To that I added a stick of celery diced small, half a small red pepper diced small, chive flowers broken up, half a cup of artichoke hearts and mayonnaise. I should have let the artichoke hearts drain a little because the oil made the mayonnaise too runny.

The green salad was baby spinach and arugula (rocket) dressed with walnut oil, rice vinegar, salt and pepper.

When the chicken was done I took it out and let it cool on the plate while I finished the salads.  Fern liked the potato salad even though it was over dressed/runny.  He loved the green salad. Commenting more than once while eating it how good it was.  Same with the chicken.  It was delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment