Saturday, April 12, 2014

Paprika Cod with Lemon White Wine Sauce


I was going to buy halibut at Save On Foods but after waiting several minutes for someone to attend the meat counter, I finally gave up and went to Safeway. There I bought cod instead. Save On butchers and packages their meat somewhere on the prairies and trucks it out. Doesn't sound like fresh meat to me. Usually their fish is better because it doesn't have to come from Manitoba. Unfortunately, the lack of need for local butchers leads to no need to man the meat counter. Anyone not wanting large pre-packaged meat is out of luck at Save On. Safeway always has at least two people working in the meat department so that's where I buy mine, usually.

:end rant.

Since I've been making a salad every night I started making only one vegetable with the entrĂ©e which makes plating much simpler.  Here I put my cod on saffron rice beside asparagus with lemon sauce over all. 

Saffron Rice

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup rice
1 cup of water
2 tsp olive oil
6-10 saffron stigmas

Combine in a Pyrex bowl and put it in the microwave. I broke the ends off the asparagus and put it in the steamer basket. I  have an asparagus pot which is tall and narrow. At first I thought I had to fill it with water but quickly figured out I only need and inch or so of water in the bottom so  the asparagus can steam.

I seasoned the cod with salt, paprika and then coated with flour. The flour will brown where the herbs would scorch. It fried in olive oil till the fish started to flake. It was cooked through and not dry so that seems to be a good indicator with thick cod.

Lemon Sauce

1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 oz lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white wine
salt

Melt the butter and mix with flour. Cook the flour taste off then remove pan from heat. Whisk in chicken stock, lemon juice, white wine, salt. Add water slowly till the sauce is a bit thinner than desired and put back on medium heat. Bring to simmer, turn down and add water as needed to keep the sauce the right consistency.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper
dot dijon mustard
1 tsp ketchup - or 1/4 tsp tomato paste

Whisk and toss the salad in the dressing. Fern pointed out that ketchup is full of sugar so next time I'll use tomato paste.

The rice, cod, asparagus and lemon sauce all swam happily together on the plate. If I'd had a little fresh green garnish it could have been an expensive restaurant meal. The salad was nice, I like putting a bit of tomato in the dressing. This meal is what I mean by Eat Out In Every Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment