Friday, August 9, 2013

Angus Beef Tenderloin


I felt like a nice piece of beef for dinner and I haven't had Angus tenderloin since last year.  So I found a pack of 3 fillets and picked up a small tub of sour cream for the baked potato. I cooked the potato in the microwave then wrapped it in foil with butter, salt and chives and put it in the BBQ to finish. The broccoli was steamed and finished in the pot with olive oil. I did the tenderloins on the BBQ in 2x2x2x2 minutes to get crossed grill marks on the top and bottom. I also stood the fillets on each side for a minute to fully cook the sides.

The steaks were perfect! The broccoli wasn't overcooked and the potato is nearly impossible to ruin. I bought the beef at Save On Foods and it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting.  Next time I'll buy from Mitchell's, they always have great meat.

Fern spoke to the meat manager at Quality Foods about my experience and me not wanting to shop there again. He said every organization makes mistakes, I shouldn't judge the store over one mistake.

Let's take a look at my experience with Quality Foods since it opened.  At first, almost everything was wonderful with one exception. Pie crust is one thing they have never been able to make. Anything in a pie crust at Quality Foods will be a disappointment. So no pies or tarts from QF.

Then I picked up some ham for sandwiches and it tasted fishy. I just can't imagine how a fishy taste gets on shaved ham in the deli case. So I didn't buy deli meat there any more.

I didn't feel like baking one day so I picked up a pack of doughnuts along with dinner.  That evening when I bit into one of the doughnuts I was shocked at how dry it was. Even worse was the flavour. The worst tasting Vanilla I've ever tried.  It had that dirty burned taste of exceptionally cheap vanilla extract. Together these two defects made the doughnuts inedible. I took them back to the store right to the bakery and told the baker how awful this product was.  She laughed and said, "It's not our fault, we don't make them."
"What?"
"We buy them frozen, thaw them and put them out for sale.", she said proudly.
"That's even worse!" I said in exasperation.
"Not only can you not make good doughnuts, you can't even buy good doughnuts!", which finally wiped the grin off her face.

I stormed out of the store stopping at the service desk to tell them what had transpired and warn them that the bakery is going to bring the store down with the terrible products they offer. 

Then I realized that milk was significantly cheaper at Save On for the same product. So that's another product category I don't buy at QF.

That brings me to the rotten pork from the meat department.  I don't know how a meat department or butcher shop operates. I've never worked in one.  Even so, I don't believe that me being sold rotten meat was the result of a single mistake.  I think a whole range of procedures had to be broken for that to happen.  

Between fishy deli meat, dried out poor quality baking, expensive dairy products and rotting meat, I don't think they have safe food handling at Quality Foods. I'm afraid I'll get sick if I eat food they have handled.

No comments:

Post a Comment