Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Chicken Thighs with Caesar Salad


I sure miss Quality Foods for the way they organize the meat department. I don't miss the meat they sell. It's been a week since I bought black and green rotting pork at Quality Foods and I still feel nauseous when I think of going back in the store. I don't know if I'll ever be able to shop their again, even if I wanted to.

I'm used to buying bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts at QF which I bone myself and use the bones to make stock and the skins fried for dog treats. Mitchell's has only whole chickens or boneless breasts. That doesn't help me. Save On foods pre-packages everything so you can't tell what you're buying. They have bone in, skin on chicken breasts in packages of far too many for $11. Every package is $11. There are no single packages or smaller packages.  Clearly, Save On foods does not want to sell chicken to families of less than 5 or 6 people. I REALLY don't understand why they do this but I won't argue, I'll just go elsewhere.

Safeway doesn't sell bone in, skin on breasts at all.  Last week I bought boneless breasts from Safeway and they were so small that at least half the meat was left on the bones. Really! At least that explains why their boneless breasts are so expensive, they throw more than half the meat away. That left me with no where to shop.  So I went back to Save On and bought a small package of bone in, skin on chicken thighs. At least they're the tastiest part of the bird.

Chicken Marinade

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp ground ginger
dash of rice vinegar
mixed ground pepper

Soak the chicken in the marinade till ready to put in a hot frying pan.

Caesar Salad

1 egg yolk
1/2 cup oil

Whisk 2 tsp oil at a time into the egg yolk till all oil is added, mayonnaise is the result. To that add:

2 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
anchovy fillet - I use a couple drops Chinese Oyster or Fish Sauce instead - to get that umami flavour
Worcestershire Sauce - a few drops
lemon - juice from half
salt
black pepper - plenty

Cut some dry bread up into croutons and fry them in some oil, salt and pepper, let cool.

Tear a head of Romaine up into bite size pieces. Toss the lettuce in the dressing to coat.  Add the croutons and toss.  Add 1/2 cup grated parmesan, toss and serve.

The salad was what a Caesar should be and everyone loved the chicken. I was surprised at how well the chicken was received because I didn't use a recipe, I just went by my own experience. It sounds like I know what I'm doing when I say it like that, so I'll stop now.


No comments:

Post a Comment