Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Lime Squares


These were supposed to be lemon squares but when I got home I discovered the last piece of fruit was a lime, not a lemon.  So I made lime squares. This recipe is from The Joy of Cooking with a little embellishment from me. I made these lemon squares when Andree first arrived and they were really good, easy to make, but had one little thing I didn't like.  The egg filling fell after the squares were taken from the oven. 

Notice these squares have not fallen, the filling is flat from the edges to the centre. This is the first time I modified the chemistry of a recipe to make it better. After the filling fell flat the first time I wondered if I could use something to stabilize the egg so it won't fall. Cream of Tartar performs that function in egg whites so I decided to try it here. 

Lime Squares

1 cup flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix and press into bottom of parchment lined 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes. While the crust is browning mix:

1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 slightly beaten eggs
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp grated lime peel
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Pour into hot crust and put back in the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool and dust with icing sugar.

Even more yummy than the last batch!



No comments:

Post a Comment