Sunday, August 25, 2013

Cajun Chicken with White Wine Mushroom Cream Sauce


I felt like chicken today so I picked up a couple of breasts, boned and seasoned them with 

Cajun Rub

2 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp paprika 
1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground mustard

1/8 tsp ground cloves

Then I sprayed them with a little oil and cooked them on the BBQ for 25 minutes.  White rice, Fern likes it that way so it's certainly easy! Corn on the cob I boiled in a big pot.  I finally figured out how to cook them in the husk and pull them out clean as a whistle but it's fiddly and not really worth the extra effort.

I caramelized the mushrooms first, in oil and a little butter, then took them out of the pan.  I added some oil and a teaspoon of flour to the pan which and cooked the raw taste off. Next I thinned the flour with chicken stock, then white wine.  I reduced the wine before adding some milk. We use 1% milk so the sauce wasn't rich and creamy but it tasted terrific! The milk in it was enough to temper the cayenne in the Cajun Rub. Next I added the mushrooms back in and a little salt and pepper. I was tempted to add some herbs but decided to let the wine and mushrooms shine instead. 

It was a good decision, the sauce was wonderful. The chicken, moist and delicious. My plating isn't improving much but I'm close to increasing the complexity of my plates which will force better plating. The sauce flavoured my rice so this was the first time I didn't use soy sauce. I loved it!




No comments:

Post a Comment