Monday, August 26, 2013

Food Marketing - it keeps you fat and poor

Quality Foods has a feature in their stores I absolutely loved. My Daily Special.  The way it worked: go to Daily Special machine and scan items till you find one with the biggest discount. Scan loyalty card and when you go through the tills it gives your Daily Special on up to four of the selected item. That encouraged me to shop every day, which was fine since I don't freeze meat any more. I was able to buy a bag of cookies for $1 off, every day!

I have been struggling to keep my weight from going up and changing supermarkets has had an unexpected benefit. I can't get a daily special on cookies and snacks so I don't eat them.  Suddenly my weight is stabilizing and I think maybe going down. Those Daily Special cookies were making me fat! Not only that but I spend much less on food now. I have to keep fresh baking available but I can whip up a batch of cookies in flash at this point, so it's not a big chore.

That's when a good deal isn't so good in the long run. If it keeps you over buying and over eating, it's bad for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment