Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Cajun Chicken with Asparagus and Hollandaise


My plating is getting a lot better! I salted and coated the chicken breasts with Cajun spice from Save On bulk spice bins. I brushed olive oil all over them and put them on the BBQ for 25 minutes. I cook them on medium low heat and take the smaller ones off the heat during cooking so they roast without drying out. 

The asparagus I snapped the stems off and steamed them. Asparagus will snap where it changes from stringy to edible. The basmati rice was cooked with salt, several drops lemon juice and olive oil. When it was cooked I added lemon rind.

Hollandaise

2 egg yolks
juice of half a lemon
tsp water
salt
1/4 cup butter

Melt butter but don't get it hot. Slowly add butter to the egg yolk while whisking them so all the butter is taken up by the yolk. Add a pinch of salt. Add the lemon juice and water.  Dip a spoon in and see if the balance is correct. If it's too acid add salt. If it's too bland add lemon juice, too thick, add water. Cook over medium heat while whisking. It's done when it's steaming.

This was my best batch so far. The chicken was perfectly cooked, the asparagus had just the right amount of crunch. The hollandaise was perfect and the rice had plenty of flavour too. I even managed to sprinkle some fresh parsley over top. It was every bit as good as it looks and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment