Thursday, April 9, 2015

Pork Cutlet with Apple Sauce, Broccoli and Fresh Cut Fries


Every once in a while I feel like getting the deep fryer out and tonight was one.  I got out the Star Frit french fry cutter, which still works after ten meals, (the moving parts are your hands) and quickly dispatched a couple of potatoes each and one for the dog because he's going to get it anyway.

I put the broccoli in the steamer early, got it cooked and cooled down. That made it easier to get the fries and pork cooked. I did the cutlets in a large frying pan with plenty of oil.  The apple sauce was right out of a jar. The cutlets were ready first so I put them on the plates in the oven and started the broccoli warming up in olive oil and black pepper. The fries were done in two batches 3 minutes at 325F then 3 minutes at 375F. I used canola oil in the fryer and I missed the nutty flavour of the rice bran oil. So when it needs more oil I'll add rice bran oil to help the flavour.

Everything was perfect this time. The broccoli was hot and had a slight crunch. The fries were crisp but not dry. The pork wasn't cooked to death. Overall, a successful meal. The quality of meat we're eating now is great and it doesn't cost more than the chain stores. The fat is cut off and the price is a little higher but it's actually cheaper at the till because you're buying only solid protein, not a bunch of fat. So give your local butcher and try, you might be pleasantly surprised.


No comments:

Post a Comment