Saturday, April 25, 2015

Salisbury Steak with Crimini Mushrooms


This is about the only way I can get Fern to eat beef. The fat burns off in the BBQ so he finds it acceptable. Beef tenderloin would also be acceptable but this makes the mortgage payment easier. The broccoli was steamed, cooled and reheated in olive oil.  I over cooked it just a bit but it still tasted good and had the memory of a crunch.

Under all that gravy is mashed potatoes finished with salt, butter and milk. To the beef burger I added salt, black pepper, handful bread crumbs, 2 cloves garlic finely diced. I kneaded it for a minute to thoroughly mix and separated the 500gms beef into 3 meat patties. I make them thinner in the centre so they will be flat when they cook and puff up. I gave them about 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 minutes to get crossed grill marks on both sides. 

In a frying pan I cooked 4 pieces of back or Canadian bacon. I removed them from the pan and added six sliced crimini mushrooms. I seared them and took them from the pan.  A tablespoon of butter went in the pan and half a tablespoon of flour.  Next I added a packet of Bovril beef stock (a good brand tastes better). Cook the flour taste off in the butter then remove from heat and whisk in milk a little at a time so it doesn't lump. I used about a cup of milk so it could cook down a bit.  I added the mushrooms and bacon back in and added a few drops Worcestershire Sauce. A tablespoon of tomato ketchup, which was twice what it needed. I cooked that down a bit and plated the sauce over the meat and potatoes.

I like this meal, it's not fancy but it tastes good and isn't too heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment