Monday, July 4, 2016

Chiffon Cake - my own recipe


I didn't have a recipe that made the right amount of batter for my two 8" cake pans so I decided to create my own recipe to fit the bill. This is my first cake recipe that I created from knowledge and experience. Preheat oven to 350F and cut two rounds of parchment for the bottom of the cake pans. Butter or oil the sides of the pans and dust with flour so the cake will release from the pan.

Chiffon Cake 

2 cups flour
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs - yolks and whites separated
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

First, I let all the ingredients warm to room temperature.  Then I creamed the butter and slowly added the sugar, creaming as it went. Beat in salt, egg yolks, vanilla. Add the flour and milk alternately mixing each in. 

The egg whites I whipped up but found they quickly fell to liquid again. A bit of Cream of Tartar sprinkled over top and whip them up again. This time they held their loft and I could fold them into the batter with the baking powder. Pour into two 8 inch round cake pans.

Bake 30 minutes. 


I cut the top off the bottom layer to make it flat so it was a little shorter. Also the blueberry filling seems to have flattened it a little. The blueberries were mixed with sugar and some icing to hold it together. I could have used a little pre-cooked corn starch to hold the juices but didn't think of it at the time. The butter cream icing was 3/4 cup butter creamed with 2 cups icing sugar, teaspoon vanilla, few drops almond oil and a couple of teaspoons of milk to smooth it out. The raspberries were mixed with icing sugar and a few drops of milk to make a glaze. The glaze running down the side of the cake wasn't planned, next time some starch to hold the liquid and its flavour should prevent running.

The cake was wonderful. Lighter than a pound cake but richer than angel food cake. It will probably be eaten up today which is great because it's still fresh. I'm quite proud of my new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment