Friday, July 29, 2016

Snapper on Lemon Rice with Corn on the Cob


We helped Julie move to her new place today. From Westview to Townsite. She's half way to Cranberry! To celebrate I invited her for dinner saying it's fresh fish day at Mitchell's. She accepted, so knowing I had to cook for three and I'm already tired I wanted it simple. But Fern wanted a salad.


The rice had salt and olive oil to cook. When it was done I stirred in juice from half a lemon. The corn on the cob was absolutely the best corn I've ever tasted. All I did was add 1/4 cup milk to the pot it was boiling in which was nice but didn't produce this heavenly flavour. It's over $1/ear at Mitchell's and it's worth it. I served it with butter, forgot the salt but the milk/water had just enough. 

The snapper was fairly fresh, I pulled the bones out, salted and sprinkled with Cajun spice mix and put it in a hot frying pan. I use the Cajun spice in the bulk bin at Save On. (I also use their bulk Taco seasoning.) I watch the side of the fish turn opaque white from the bottom up as it cooks. When it gets to the middle, turn it over. I drizzled more lemon juice over the fish on the rice so fish juice flavoured the rice. Now I wish I'd done a more decorative lemon slice because we didn't really need a wedge. It was delicious.

I foraged in the garden for Fern's Salad. I found spinach two feet tall! and baby romaine lettuce. Cherry tomatoes. There was fresh basil and Julie arrived with fresh arugula which went right in too. I also sliced up a stick of celery because Fern loves it.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive/canola oil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp mustard powder
salt
mixed pepper

Whisk, toss and serve.

It was a pretty good meal for a tired old queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment