Monday, December 23, 2013

Eggnog Cookies



I wanted to make some kind of Christmas cookie but sugar cookies always seem like something is missing.  So I decided to try Eggnog Cookies, since eggnog is my favourite seasonal beverage.  I looked on the internet at a few recipes for eggnog cookies, there are some so that probably means they can be good. Rather than follow someone else's recipe I decided to just wing it. Pretty much any cookie can be started with 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup sugar.  To that I added an ounce of milk, an egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2 cups of flour.  I put 1/2 tsp baking powder on top of the flour, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp nutmeg. Salt might have helped but I forgot to add it. I tasted the batter and it was good, tasted like eggnog. I added a bit more flour until the dough didn't stick to my hand then made a ball, wrapped in plastic and put in the freezer for 20 minutes at least. When it's firmed up, place between floured parchment and roll to 1/8th inch thick. Cut into cookies. Two drops of red food colouring with 2 tablespoons sugar, stir it up and sprinkle with a sieve over the cookies. Bake at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden. 


The eggnog flavour was mostly lost during cooking but the hint of cinnamon and nutmeg still made a cameo appearance. Unfortunately cinnamon and nutmeg cookies aren't entirely delicious. I've had worse cookies, they aren't awful, they just aren't delicious. Next time I'll make ginger snaps, Joy of Cooking has a wonderful recipe.

update: People have been dropping in and trying the cookies.  So far everyone has liked them, maybe I'm too critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment