Saturday, December 14, 2013

Prawns and Pasta with Spinach Salad


I feel like I'm cheating with this meal but this time I spent a little more time and got an even better result. I defrosted and de-tailed a handful of prawns each.  This time I used cooked prawns because that is what I accidentally bought, they clearly said 'Cooked' so it was my fault. I put butter and garlic in a shallow pan, waited for them to cook a minute then tossed in the prawns.  The prawns immediately released gallons of water each into the pan so I had to boil that off. That overcooked the prawns so they could not be missed in the sauce. So rubbery they chewed back!

I boiled off the excess water in the sauce too and this time Fern did not empty water from his plate before sitting down to eat. Except the rubber prawns it was great!  The salad was baby spinach and sliced mushrooms tossed in mustard vinaigrette with parmesan on top. Fern and I discussed salad dressings before dinner and this is my version of Fern's Family Favourite. Fern makes it with mustard powder and I find it bitter.

Mustard Vinaigrette - for 2

Stir a jar of Dijon Mustard with a teaspoon. Shake mustard off spoon into jar then tap a small dot of mustard in the bowl.
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper

Whisk and taste.  Too bland add a little salt, too dull, add a little mustard. Toss with the salad and top with fresh grated parmesan.

This dressing and a bag of baby spinach means we'll have a lovely salad every day! Fern didn't have water on his plate so I actually improved the product I thought was better than mine!  That is confidence building.

No comments:

Post a Comment