Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sole with Almonds and Lemon Sauce


This dish is fast and simple. Get everything else ready first before cooking the fish. I started with two plates in the oven to warm.  I did the carrots and broccoli in the steamer then finished them in olive oil. (steam till outside softens then run under cool water to stop cooking. Put olive oil in pan and toss vegetables in it. Finish cooking the vegetables in the oil.) The potatoes were plain mashed with salt and butter. Put a pad of butter and a tablespoon of sliced almonds in a small pan on the stove.  Brown them slightly then add a teaspoon of flour.  Cook this roux a bit then add chicken stock till it thins to a sauce. Add a few drops of lemon juice and keep adding till it tastes savoury, lemony and delicious. It tastes awful with too much lemon.

Season the sole with salt then dust with flour.  Fry quickly in a hot pan browning both sides.  Serve on or under the lemon sauce.  I originally planned to put lemon sauce on the broccoli which I did even though I incorporated the almonds in the sauce.  It worked but I'll keep the sauce and nuts separate next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment