Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pork Cutlet


In trying to be more local I picked up a couple of breaded pork cutlets at Mitchell's. It's been a while since I bought meat seasoned by someone else, I was half expecting it to be better than mine. Wrong! Not enough salt and not much of anything else. No only that but the breading didn't brown evenly so the chops didn't look particularly good either. To top it off I over cooked them.

I made mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables.  At this time of year broccoli is $1.49 one day and $2.49 the next. It was the next day so I opted for winter vegetables; onion, celery, carrot, mushrooms and frozen peas all cooked up with a little chicken stock gravy. To make gravy sprinkle a teaspoon of flour over the vegetables, a thick layer will turn into awful dumplings! Stir the pan so the flour gets cooked a bit then add 1/4 cup chicken stock to the pan. Stir. When it cooks down to a nice gravy it's ready to serve.

The condiment on the cutlet is Fern's ketchup. The cutlet was bland and dry. The breading came off too easily and wasn't particularly good anyway. Lessons learned: if I didn't season it myself I can't assume someone else did it correctly. I should trust the skills I've learned, my breaded pork cutlet is much better than this. That is not a criticism of Mitchell's, if I'm too lazy to season my own meat I deserve whatever I get. Mitchell's probably gets positive feedback or the cutlets wouldn't sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment