Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pineapple Coconut Curry Prawns


I decided to try my curry with prawns instead of chicken. It's wonderful! This was fairly quick to put together too! First, put rice on to cook.  Next, put 6-8 frozen raw prawns per person in a sieve or colander and run under cold water to defrost.  Let them sit in cold water while you make the curry. I take the tails off before cooking them, that's optional. I don't like taking curry covered tails out of my mouth with my fingers while I'm eating. Or tomato covered for that matter.

I sweated an onion with a couple of cloves of garlic smashed and chopped. When the onion is translucent add the prawns with a little salt and cook till they change colour but don't cook them right through.  Turn them over and do the other side then take them from the pan.  They should still be rawish in the middle, they'll finish cooking in the sauce.

Sprinkle a tablespoon of curry powder over the pan and cook it a moment then take the pan off the heat.  Add an ounce of chicken stock and half a can of coconut milk. If there are solids in the coconut milk put half of it in the pan and it will melt. The coconut milk needs to reduce and thicken, while it's doing that it can steam the broccoli and cook the frozen peas.  I also added frozen sweet peppers and some pineapple juice. 

When it has thickened and cooked the vegetables add the prawns and pineapple pieces. Heat everything through and serve over rice. Fern went to town overnight so I made this for myself. It was easy to make for one person and well worth the trouble. Broccoli doesn't have to be in there, peas alone would do fine. It's a tasty, easy, versatile meal. Very much comfort food.


No comments:

Post a Comment