Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Sole, Potatoes Au Gratin and Kale, Tomato and Cucumber Salad


Sole is the kind of fish you can have when you don't feel like fish. Here all I did was salt one side, coat with flour and fry in hot oil. When I put the fish in the pan I sprinkled shaved almonds on top. Then turned them over to brown the nuts.

Potatoes were sliced thin then layered in a 9x9 pan. I only did 3 medium potatoes, 1 in a layer, a 1/2 tsp flour sprinkled over with a pinch of salt. A little grated cheddar, salt and another layer of potato. A little more flour, more cheese and the rest of the potato. More grated cheese on top then nearly cover with milk. Jostle the potato so they are all covered in milk and put in the oven at 375-400ºF for an hour. I turned the heat down to 350 for the last half hour.

The salad was kale finely chopped, red and yellow tomatoes from the garden and cucumber from the garden. The cuke had gotten huge so I took the seeds out and used only the flesh. The dressing was 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp canola oil, 2 tsp lime juice, 1/2 tsp salt, plenty of black pepper, whisk, pour over salad and toss.

The fish was great. The potatoes were really good, and I loved the salad. I always thought kale was bitter but found it isn't so I bought some and started using is. Fern says he doesn't like lime or lemon juice in salad dressings. He's a bit stodgy.

No comments:

Post a Comment