Sunday, August 31, 2014

Chicken Fajita


I still had those taco shells in the fridge so decided to use more up.  Fern doesn't like too much red meat so I bought chicken breasts and mushrooms and planned to use peppers from the garden.  This was really simple, I cut the breasts into strips and fried them to half done then took them from the pan.  Next I gave the sliced mushrooms some sear then I put the sliced peppers into the pan and added the meat back on top. To that I added a tablespoon of taco seasoning, a dusting of flour and a splash of beef stock.  Shortly before plating I added fresh chives. 

I bought refried beans and after considering the ingredients and price etc. Old El Paso refried beans are worth the price if you don't have time to make your own. I reheated them and garnished with some grated extra old cheddar.

I filled a warmed taco shell with chicken mixture, grated cheddar and rolled it up. I had guacamole in the fridge so I put a dollop on the plate and laid the fajita on it.  I topped it with sour cream and a bit of tomato cucumber salad.

Vinaigrette

1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper

Whisk this up, add sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and toss.

A really nice meal, last time this summer I think. Fern wants this kind of thing on really hot days.

No comments:

Post a Comment