Sunday, January 18, 2015

Fresh Sole and Caesar Salad


We had a big lunch so we both wanted something light. That usually means fish and sole was fresh so I picked it up.  I also got a head of Romaine. I put rice on just to fill the plate. Wash and spin the lettuce dry.

Croutons, I use my stale bread. I brown them with olive oil and salt in a frying pan and let them cool before using.

Caesar Dressing

1 egg yolk
1/3 cup olive/canola oil
emulsify the oil in the egg yolk by whisking the yolk while adding a teaspoon of oil at a time.
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves finely diced
Anchovie filet or few drops fish sauce
dash Worcestershire Sauce
Whisk and check the balance. Add more lemon or salt as needed. 
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 cup croutons

Toss it all and plate.

I had an egg white left over so I decided to try to coat the fish before frying. The first mistake I made was not flouring the fish so the coating wouldn't stick. Then I decided to try tapioca flour in the egg white. It just sort of went lumpy. So I coated the fish and managed to get it cooked. Some of the coating browned and I got a piece on the plate. That's the brown squiggle. At least it all tasted good. The salad was nice and crisp. The fish was sweet so it was just the look that was off. Some crispy would have been nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment