Thursday, January 8, 2015

Marinated Pork Chops


The ordinary plating belies the taste hiding there. I had marinated pork in mind when I left for the store so this meal was pretty much planned. The rice I cooked with a couple of anise seeds, salt, olive oil and a teaspoon lemon juice. The pork spent several hours in the Food Saver marinator.

Pork Marinade

1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves garlic minced

I add canola oil so the olive oil won't burn and it's significantly cheaper. I made sure to fully coat both sides of the pork in the marinade before sucking the air out. At dinner time I slowly released the pressure so moisture was drawn back into the meat. Then I fried them.

The sprouts were steamed, run under cold water to stop cooking, then reheated in olive oil just before serving. The salad was the second half of a bag of iceberg, red cabbage and carrot salad. 

Vinaigrette

2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp canola oil
2 tsp mystery acid
1/2 tsp salt
mixed pepper

Whisk and toss the salad to coat.  The mystery acid was red wine vinegar and something else. No idea what but it tasted good. Something I mixed up a while ago and never finished.

The mustard cooks into a wonderful flavour on the meat by itself but, when paired with anise on the rice it went right up to the top and rang all the bells! The breaded pork cutlets are easier but this tastes far better. I would use only one anise seed next time, it was a little too fragrant but the flavour was incredible.


No comments:

Post a Comment