Friday, February 13, 2015

Coconut Chicken Curry


Too bad the flavour doesn't come through the photo because this tasted amazing! I started with breasts from Mitchell's. I figured out why their chicken tastes good and Save On Foods or Safeway chicken doesn't. Muscles working is what gives meat it's flavour. Animals kept tightly penned and unable to get exercise produce meat with almost no flavour. Free range and free run animals will have flavour that factory farm animals don't get a chance to produce.

I diced up the chicken into bite size pieces, salted and coated it with flour. I also diced an onion, celery stick and orange bell pepper. First I sweated the onion till it started to take on colour then added the chicken and got a sear all around it. Then I removed the chicken from the pan to a bowl. I added the celery and pepper to the pan and put a few drops of Chinese fish sauce in it. That dirty sock smell rose from the pan telling me it is leaving behind delicious flavour. I sprinkled one to two teaspoons curry powder over all. Then I added a can of coconut milk, bring to a boil and start reducing the liquid. I bought sugar snap peas and podded them all so I had just the sweet green peas bubbling in the sauce. 

When the sauce has thickened I put the chicken back in to finish cooking. This way the chicken doesn't get rubbery. Serve over Basmati rice. We both pretty much inhaled this meal. Oddly, Storm didn't like the curry but he's a dog so more for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment