Friday, February 6, 2015

Pork and Cashew Stir Fry


The best leftover's ever! The pork I roasted a couple of days ago but forgot to write up.  It was a loin roast, brined for 4 hours and cooked with bay leaves on top.  The brine had a tablespoon of salt, 2 teaspoon molasses, 1 teaspoon sugar. Then roasted in the oven for an hour and a half till the thermometer was happy with the internal temperature.

I started by prepping everything. Nothing ruins a stir fry faster than trying to dice peppers while the mushrooms turn to carbon. First, I fried the mushrooms, followed by the onions and a few moments later, celery. I microwaved the carrots first to soften them and added them next.  Then the peppers and finally the bok choy. I should have used only half the bok choy, it kind of overwhelmed everything else. 

Thinly sliced pork went in next and I cleared a space in the centre of the pan. I added sesame oil and several drops of fish sauce.  I thought  I over did the fish sauce because it was very fragrant when I put in the pan.  I let it all cook for a few minutes and added some soy sauce. Not too much because Fern likes only a little, but I can almost drink the stuff.

I served it over basmati rice cooked with a pinch of salt, teaspoon oil and two drops rice vinegar. I didn't taste it before serving so I was a little worried it would taste of dirty socks from the fish sauce. I shouldn't have worried. The sauce cooked into a wonderful flavour I'd never produced before. I had to take several bites to confirm what I was experiencing, amazingly good food! That fish sauce is a secret weapon of flavour! I'm using Thai Kitchen in case it matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment