Thursday, February 12, 2015

Salisbury Steak


Fern said we can have ground beef from Mitchell's occasionally and I felt like it today.  I went to Mitchell's and bought fresh ground beef and pork, about four times more beef than pork. I forgot to buy potatoes so I made rice instead.  The meat was seasoned with salt and pepper. The vegetables were a fresh carrot and frozen peas cooked in the microwave.  

That leaves the sauce. I sweated a diced onion till it started to turn golden, then added a few drops of fish sauce and let the dirty sock smell cook off. Next I added a couple cloves of fresh garlic, smashed and diced. About a teaspoon of dried dill went in with salt and pepper. I added a half teaspoon of flour over all and cooked off the flour taste for a minute. Then I added a packet of Bovril Beef Stock and half a cup of water. I stirred it all in and reduced the water a bit. I had to add water before serving because it got a bit too think. I also added a few drops of Worcestershire Sauce before plating.

We both enjoyed the meal. It has been a long time since we had beef in something other than spaghetti sauce, so it was a treat for me. The photo doesn't do it justice. The meat was really good as was the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment