Monday, February 9, 2015

Pork Cutlet in disguise


Fern suggested cutlets the other day then we ended up ordering a pizza anyway. Too busy rebuilding the kitchen to cook in it! I also had bunched beets so we would have Borscht and beet greens for the vegetable.

Borscht - This batch wasn't particularly good - beef stock was in the fridge a day too long.

1 carrot diced
1 onion diced
3 beets diced
2 cups beef stock
1/2 tsp salt
mixed pepper

I sweated the onion till some were turning golden. Then added the carrots and finally the beets. I added the beef stock and let it simmer for 45 minutes. Served with a dollop of sour cream. It was forgettable.

Breaded pork cutlet from Save On Foods fried in olive/canola oil. Mashed potatoes with salt, butter and milk. Beet greens. This time I left the stems on because they aren't bitter. They aren't particularly nice to eat either so next time I'll remove them.

Tomato mushroom sauce was simple. I fried the mushrooms in olive oil. Then added garlic and sweated that.  Then tomato sauce and dried basil were added. Dried basil is never great but I think it really didn't like the mushrooms. The sauce was just not there.

The grated parmesan on top was too much too late. I just tallied it up. Only the potatoes and pork cutlet were properly prepped and cooked and I didn't bread the cutlet. Fortunately even great chef's occasionally fail so I won't beat myself up too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment