Thursday, February 5, 2015

Salisbury Steak with Onion Mushroom Sauce


Fern indicated that ground beef from Mitchell's would be an acceptable meal. He won't eat much beef since his bypass so it's been mostly in spaghetti sauce. I had onions and mushrooms in the fridge so I decided to try Salisbury Steak. I got 3/4 lb of lean ground beef from Mitchell's. I added half a teaspoon of salt, black pepper, finely diced garlic, diced onion, chopped fresh basil and several tablespoons of tomato sauce. I worked that into the meat evenly then fried them in olive oil. 

The potatoes were mashed with butter, salt and milk. The broccoli was steamed, cooled under cold water then finished in olive oil and salt. The sauce was caramelized onions and mushrooms in beef stock. I added Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Before adding the stock I sprinkled flour over onions and mushrooms and cooked that in a minute, then added the stock and cooked the flour taste off.

I cooked the meat till it was well done, a bit over done probably, but it was tasty. The sauce was a nice treat too. Considering I was building the kitchen immediately prior to cooking dinner, it's a pretty good meal. Now I have to go finish installing the range hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment