Sunday, August 12, 2012

Lemon Snaps


My partner's sister is visiting us again.  For her first couple of visits there was a particularly good lemon cookie at the grocery store that she really enjoyed. They stopped carrying them after a couple of years and she does miss them so I thought I might try to make some.  Nothing in any of my cookbooks and when I googled for lemon cookie I hit a lot of coconut and soft chewy recipes that sounded revolting. (I don't like dried coconut) One of them was a lemon snap but the recipe didn't sound appealing, however I next searched for lemon snap and found this recipe on CDKitchen.com.  It was for at least 2 dozen cookies but I didn't want to make that many in a trial batch so I halved the recipe as I wrote it down. I needn't have worried, these cookies are rich, crunchy and delicious.

1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest
3/8 cup oil (hint, there are 8 ounces in a cup)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the lemon I used one lemon and zested it entirely first then juiced it. I was probably a little short on the zest and definitely at least a quarter ounce short on the juice but I hoped that it would be enough.  I put everything in a bowl in that order, stirred it with a fork then balled up the dough and flattened with the fork.  Bake at 350ºF for 12 minutes or until golden on edges and ridges. Makes one dozen.

They were amazing, crunchy, lemony with hints of vanilla.  "The best cookies you've ever made!" declared my partner.  I wouldn't go that far but they sure were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment