Monday, August 20, 2012

Pierrette's Spaghetti



My partner Fernand's sister Andree is staying with us so I thought it would be nice to make their mother's spaghetti sauce for dinner.  I went to the store and picked up about a pound and a half of angus ground beef and a half pound of ground pork. I already had a can of tomato sauce, usually Hunts, and the secret sauce, a can of Aylmer tomato soup.  Only Aylmer will do so if you can't find it you can't make this recipe, a different brand may not be appealing.

You'll also need:

2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
1 carrot
1 stick celery
1 green pepper
7 medium mushrooms
1 bay leaf
1 chunk italian parmesan grated over the plate
optional tbsp fresh chopped oregano

I sliced the mushrooms and diced everything up nice and small starting with the onion which I fried till golden then added the carrots, next the celery, then the green pepper and finally the garlic.  When they were all sweated I took them out of the pan, added some oil and started frying the sliced mushrooms. When they were done I took them out of the pan and added the meat in with a little salt.  I used fairly high heat to get a sear on all the ground meat. When the meat was cooked I added the sweated vegetables back in and put  the two cans of sauce and soup into the pot. I brought that to a simmer and let it go for half an hour. Ten minutes before dinner time I put the pasta on. I've started using Barilla, it definitely tastes better than anything else I've tried. Of course fresh is best, but Pierrette never made pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment