Sunday, August 26, 2012

My First Scratch Chocolate Cake


I've never made a chocolate cake from scratch so it was time I took a stab at it. I dug this recipe up on Foodess.com called Moist Chocolate Cake.  I'm not quite convinced.  Here is the recipe:


1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or substitute by putting 1 tbsp white vinegar in a cup then filling the rest up with milk; let stand 5 minutes until thickened)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee (or 2 tsp instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water)

Bake at 350ยบ for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Mine was sticky first time so I gave it another 5 minutes and it came out clean.  The cake was really a disappointment, not really chocolaty or moist. It stuck to the pan and crumbled a bit taking it out.


The icing was a bit of a disappointment. Here are the instructions:

1 cup milk
5 tbsp flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
(1/4 cup coco powder) I added, it wasn't enough

combine flour, milk heat to thick batter then add vanilla and cool.

In a mixer whisk the butter and sugar to light and fluffy. Here is where I went wrong, I added the roux all at once instead of a little at a time while it whipped. Mine just went kind of runny. Well, we ate it all so it couldn't have been that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment