Monday, August 20, 2012

Slow Roast Beef On A Cool Summer Evening


It was time for red meat again and we haven't had roast beef for a while so I bought a small sirloin tip roast.  There weren't any Angus roasts so I had to settle for regular, I'll have to season it well to get the most flavor out of it. We have been receiving cucumbers from everyone lately, seems this good weather is creating a bumper crop.  Greek salad is a great way to use up cucumber. I found a jar of artichoke hearts in the fridge and decided to bump up the salad with those.

I seasoned the roast with my Beef Rub, seared it all round, inserted the thermometer and put it in the center of the oven at 250ºF. Turnips diced up and boiled, mashed potatoes and frozen peas round out the plate. I don't even know where to begin to turn this plate into a composed dish so it's suburban standard plating again. Everything was delicious but we've all been here before so no need to go on about it.

The salad was a little different.  I cut all the tough fibrous leaves off the artichoke hearts, sliced black olives in half and all the cherry tomatoes as well.  Chunks of cucumber, diced red onion and crumbled feta cheese fill out the salad.  For the dressing I whisked up a tsp of xv olive oil, 2 tsp vegetable oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, salt and mixed ground pepper. Toss the salad in the dressing and serve. Fresh, bright and delicious the salad was not left behind at the end of the meal. It was nice not to have to wade through lettuce for a change too.




No comments:

Post a Comment