Saturday, August 25, 2012

Snapper with Lemon Sauce


It wasn't long ago that I had never cooked fresh fish, now it is a regular part of our diet. Snapper again but it is a local fish, has big easy to find bones and a light taste that is easy to spice up. It is important to use fresh fish as frozen fish will be mushy and a bit fishy tasting. There is no secret to cooking fish but there are a few helpful hints.

Some fish skin tastes really good if it's fried crispy. Snapper isn't one of them.  The skin is fishy tasting and quite unpleasant.  There is often a little skin left on a snapper fillet so look it over and slice off anything suspicious.  Also watch out for fish scales, they aren't a pleasant surprise in the middle of dinner. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the bones out through my fingers, check carefully to get them all. Small fillets that I can flip over easily I leave whole, larger ones I cut in half. I usually use my Snapper Rub but Southwest or Cajun Rubs work well too.

Snapper Rub

1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp cumin

Mashed potatoes and microwaved vegetables but at least I made a lemon sauce!

Lemon Sauce

1 tbsp flour
1-2 tbsp oil
1/4 cup chicken stock
half a lemon, juiced
pinch of salt

Combine oil and flour into a paste and cook slightly over medium high heat.  Remove from heat and whisk in chicken stock, lemon juice and salt. Adjust amount of stock to make a smooth sauce. I served the sauce over the fish and the broccoli. Wonderful!



No comments:

Post a Comment