Thursday, November 8, 2012

Carrot Cake


I had half a can of pineapple left over in the fridge from the curry several days ago.  I decided to make a carrot cake and since my recipe makes way too much cake for two people, I'll only make half. So here are the halved instructions:

Carrot Cake

beat:
2 eggs
add and mix:
3 ounces vegetable oil  (hint: 8 ounces in a cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup grated carrot
1/2 can pineapple tidbits
add and mix:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
add and mix:
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional but they really help, specially pecans!)

Pour into a parchment lined bread pan and bake at 350ºF for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

The pictured cake was made with exactly half the flour of the original recipe which wasn't quite enough for the eggs and oil so this recipe has the correct amount of flour. Also when I sliced the cake with my new slicer I set it too high. Live and learn.

Butter Cream Icing

cream:
1 cup soft butter
add and cream:
1 to 2 cups sifted icing sugar
add as much as needed for the right consistency of:
1 tablespoon whipping cream or milk
It should be stiff but easy to work.

I put a dollop in the center of the cake and work it out to the edges. Put top half of cake on and apply icing as before. I put the excess in a pipping bag and had  some fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment