Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chicken Chicken


I've been getting tired of Southwest and Cajun rubs all the time so I decided to just use some basic herbs tonight.  Poultry Seasoned Chicken sounds like a pretty boring dish but Chicken Chicken leaves it open to some speculation.  Fern wanted just plain white rice and I was serving it with spinach salad instead of cooked vegetables. Chicken Chicken seasoning:

in a mortar crush:

1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt

I have learned to always pound chicken breasts flat before seasoning and cooking.  It makes cooking faster and more even and gives more surface area to take on flavor. I sprinkled the rub on, but shaking the breasts and rub in a plastic bag would have done a better job. In any case, spray the seasoned meat with oil and BBQ or just fry in some oil.

The vinaigrette for the salad was

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
juice of a lime I found at the bottom of the fridge (lemon works too)
whisk and quickly toss the salad in the dressing.

Fern initially grimaced at the thought of lime salad dressing but on spinach and mushroom it worked quite well. I served white rice and put a bit soy sauce on my own.  I wonder if sour cream helps rice the way it does potatoes? Maybe one day I'll find out.  The chicken was delicious and the salad a surprise.  Sometimes just plain old white rice is what you're hungry for. I could have garnished the plate to make it more appealing but the meal overall was exactly what we felt like eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment