Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pork Cutlet with Peanut Sauce


It's not often that half a can of coconut milk determines dinner but that happened tonight.  I had the coconut milk left over from my curry the other night and I didn't want to make another curry so I wondered what to do. What can one make for dinner with half a can of coconut milk? Peanut sauce! I went off to the store to find some fish or pork that would be good with peanut sauce. Some fresh sole but they were tiny little fillets, hardly bigger than minnows. Spring Salmon, yuck. Pork. Everything is expensive except the tenderized cutlets, which I've had success with in the past, so I snapped them up. Protein for 2 for less than $3 just makes dinner taste that much better! Also Fern doesn't like fatty meat so the lean cutlets are perfect.

I got my potatoes going and prepped the carrots and corn. Since it's frozen corn I'm doing both together in the microwave.  The cutlet rub:

1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp flour

I didn't have a bag to shake it in so I sprinkled the whole lot over both sides of the cutlets and put them in hot oil. They'll take about 3 minutes in there. While the cutlet cooked I made the sauce.

Peanut Sauce

in a small sauce pan put:
1/2 tsp flour
tsp oil
cook off the flour taste and add:
1 oz chicken stock (3 tablespoons)
1/2 can coconut milk (the raison d'etre)
1-2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp soy sauce
optional 1/4 tsp cayenne or few drops tabasco sauce

Turn the pork cutlet over.

Simmer the sauce a few minutes and add more chicken stock if it gets too thick. Serve over the pork cutlet. I like peanut sauce so I put it on my potatoes as well. Fern doesn't like stuff on his potatoes but he cleaned all the peanut sauce off his plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment