Monday, November 5, 2012

Prawn Linguine


We had a large late lunch so we wanted something lighter for dinner. I suggested prawns and pasta in tomato sauce and Fern agreed.  I diced a shallot and started browning it while I crushed a couple of garlic cloves.  I put the garlic in with the onion for a minute or two before removing all from the pan. Next in a little butter and garlic I cooked the prawns to almost done.  I should have taken them out and put them aside because I hadn't started cooking the pasta yet but I didn't think of that and I added the onion and garlic back in. I used a 500ml (2 cup) jar of Fern's canned tomatoes. I tried putting them through the food mill without success.  The potato ricer did a nice job.  I could have used the immersion blender but I find it aerates the mixture too much giving the sauce a milky appearance.

I put the linguine in boiling water and set the timer for 10 minutes. I added a little dried basil, salt and pepper to the sauce and let it simmer gently till the pasta was done. I plated the pasta and prawns and sprinkled some grated parmesan over top. It was really good, Fern's fresh canned tomatoes were packed with flavor. This was the first time I have had pasta with a seafood tomato sauce that I liked. The prawns were over cooked and rubbery so if I had held them back till the last few minutes of the pasta cooking the dish would have been perfect. If I didn't have Fern's canned tomatoes for this dish then I would start with fresh tomatoes. Commercial canned tomato sauce doesn't have the right flavor for this dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment