Friday, November 2, 2012

Halibut with Lemon Sauce and risoto


I found a halibut steak on to clearance for less than half price. I poked it, the meat sprang back so it wasn't too old. I grabbed it and headed home. Halibut for two for $5 oh boy!

I got the arborio rice on cooking in some fresh stock and got the carrots going in the steamer.  I prepped the broccoli and grated parmesan for the rice.  In a small sauce pan I put a tsp of flour and a tbsp of oil.  I cooked the flour taste off and added half a cup of chicken stock then whisked the lumps out. I squeezed out a lemon and added the juice and a good pinch of salt.

I have served fish steaks before and the soggy skin and bones never seem to go over well so I cut the meat off the bones and skin. It was quite easy once I got going.  I put 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in mortar and ground the lumps out.  I seasoned both sides of the fish and got the frying pan hot, medium high heat. They took about 4 minutes on one side then 2 minutes on the other.

The vegetables I finished with extra virgin olive oil and butter. It helps to have it on the burner on low to cook the oil just a little. The rice is cooked in chicken stock then stirred the last bit adding stock slowly to get a smooth creamy result.  Obviously that didn't happen here. It was a bit gloppy but it tasted great.

I spooned lemon sauce over the fish and the broccoli.  It was all quite delicious and a refreshing change from snapper!

No comments:

Post a Comment