Tuesday, March 11, 2014

BBQ Cajun Chicken



The change to Daylight Savings Time means the BBQ is in daylight at dinner time! I have an all weather BBQ shelter but it's not nearly as fun BBQing in the rainy darkness with a flashlight. Here's my set up with the top row of vinyl removed for spring. (different meal)




I seasoned the breast with salt first then coated it evenly with the spice mix.  I brushed oil over it all and set it over medium flame for less than 5 minutes, then turned it over to get grill marks on the other side. Less than 5 minutes later I move the meat off the flame to roast for a total of 30 minutes cooking time.

Cajun Spice Rub

2 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp paprika 
1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Mashed potatoes with butter, milk and salt (instant mashed potatoes are an abomination). Microwaved frozen corn with fresh carrots. Finished with butter and salt, not quite corn on the cob but good none the less. The sweet vegetables balance the heat in the spice mix.

The salad was the rest of the romaine, still crisp and fresh. Again I started with a tablespoon of mayonnaise, salt, black pepper and lemon juice to taste.  I also added half a teaspoon of hot dog mustard, which was too much. I wanted a lemony hint of mustard and got Hot Dog Mustard Flavour. I'll try it again, later, with a lot less mustard.

Otherwise, it was a delightful meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment