Monday, March 3, 2014

Greekified Pork Tenderloin


Fern is in a no red meat mode since returning home so I'm trying to see how long I can go before I just have to buy a nice steak. This is pork tenderloin diced up and marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika, fresh garlic, fresh chives, fresh parsley and fresh oregano. The oil/lemon base is 2 parts oil to 1 part lemon juice just like a vinaigrette. It marinated for a bit over an hour.

I did the rice in the microwave with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh chives. The vegetables were steamed, cooled and reheated in olive oil. The pork was fried in olive oil at high heat because the marinade needed to boil off as it cooked or it would braise, not fry. The trick is to get the meat in the pan as soon as it gets hot. If olive oil is over heated it becomes bitter so care must be taken.

The salad is a new innovation.  I was buying bags of cut up lettuce for $1.79 every other day. I decided to try making it myself.  A head of iceberg lettuce was $1.49.  Half a small red cabbage was .48 and a couple of carrots probably cost .20. That makes a stuffed full 4 litre bin of salad for about $2.17. To make a salad for dinner I only have to whisk up a quick vinaigrette, toss a couple of handfuls of salad in it and serve. 

It was really tasty, I definitely have this dish down. It may not be quite authentic greek but it tastes wonderful and that's what counts. It's easy to make too.

No comments:

Post a Comment