Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tomato Paste Spaghetti Sauce



I haven't bought beef for a couple of weeks. I didn't know I could survive without red meat but I'm still here cooking! Fern is the one pushing for heart healthier meat but he is fine with ground beef in spaghetti sauce. This is a pound or so of lean ground sirloin and two mild Italian sausage. First I sweated a diced onion, a finely chopped carrot and celery and 3 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped. I browned the meat, taking the filling out of the Italian sausage and breaking it all apart.  Once the meat was browned I added 2 cans of tomato paste, 1/4 cup beef stock and 1/2 cup water. It was seasoned with salt and mixed pepper, bay leaf and basil.  I added more water until I had a good consistency. A can of Aylmer Tomato Soup went in with mushrooms and some frozen mixed peppers.

A simple vinaigrette of oil, white wine vinegar, a dot of dijon mustard and salt and pepper.  Parmesan grated over top of the pasta. A good feed.


No comments:

Post a Comment