Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tenderized Pork Cutlet


I'm having to be creative to keep putting meat on the table that isn't beef. This is a humble tenderized pork cutlet.  I like them. They are lean and taste good and are fairly easy to cook.  I really like them dipped in egg and rolled in bread crumbs.  I didn't have any ciabatta bread to make crumbs so I used a good quality hot dog bun.  The crumbs were too soft and didn't develop a really good crunch so I need to make bread more often. Not to eat bread but to have good tasting bread crumbs.

Whip up two small eggs and add

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary (I forgot it and missed it)
1/2 tbsp fresh chopped chives
1/2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley

Put one tablespoon of corn flour in a plastic bag and add one quarter cup all purpose flour to it, shake to mix. Put one of the cutlet in it and shake to fully coat the meat.  Take that out, put the other one in and coat it. Next dip them in egg, be sure to coat fully then put in bread crumbs and coat. Lay breaded cutlets in hot oil in a frying pan.  The cutlets tend to expand when handled so it might be a good idea to cut them in half before putting in the pan. I had my burner a bit below medium high. If it's too hot the bread will scorch before the pork is cooked. If it's too cool, it will be greasy.

The mashed potatoes had too much salt, the right amount of butter and milk.  I under salted the broccoli a bit to compensate. As long as I ate a mouthful of potato followed by a piece of broccoli, it worked well. The carrots and broccoli were steamed then run under cold water to stop cooking.  After the pork went in the pan I emptied the water from pot, added olive oil and turned the heat to medium low plus a bit.  I shook the vegetables again added them to the pot with some more oil.  Cover and toss a few times while it reheats and finishes cooking. This way gives better control so everything can be perfect at the same time.

I forgot to buy lettuce so for a salad I used three roma tomatoes, half an English cucumber and a can of artichoke hearts in water, quartered.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp oil  (olive/canola)
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar (Maille is my favourite)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp fresh chopped chives
2 tsp fresh chopped parsley

Toss in the salad and serve. The artichoke hearts really lifted this salad up. It was really good.

The pork cutlet was a little disappointing because I forgot the rosemary which is such a strong flavour it really tasted like something was missing. The bread crumbs were a disappointment too. On the other hand, I've had much worse food in restaurants, so it's not the best I can do but it's pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment