Thursday, March 20, 2014

Prawns and Pasta


This is becoming a tried and true dish. Frozen raw peeled prawns in a simple tomato basil sauce. Thaw the prawns in cold water while dicing an onion and a few cloves of garlic. Put salted water on and add the pasta when it's boiling. Olive oil in the pan, medium high heat. Sweat the onion then add the garlic.  Remove from pan and add the prawns with more oil if necessary. Turn the prawns when they have a bit of pink colour and remove them from the pan before they are completely cooked.  I had a little tomato sauce left over so I started with that.  I added some tomato paste, chicken stock and water. Adjusting amounts till I had a good tasting tomato sauce, then I added two teaspoons of dried basil and the onions and prawns. The prawns finished cooking in the sauce.  

When the pasta is done, toss it in the sauce and prawns and plate with fresh grated parmesan on top. I diced up a tomato and whisked up a vinaigrette of olive/canola oil, rice wine vinegar, tsp tomato sauce, salt and black pepper.  I keep a bin of precut iceberg lettuce and cucumber in the fridge so all I have to do is make the vinaigrette, dice a tomato and toss it all together.

I think I'm getting close to putting this on the table in less than 30 minutes start to finish. That's faster than take-out! If I really want to impress I would finely chop fresh parsley over the pasta and fresh chives and parsley over the salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment