Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pasta and Prawns in Tomato, Basil Sauce


I didn't feel like a big production for dinner so good ol' prawns and pasta make an easy, tasty meal. I sweated a shallot and should have sweated the garlic too but forgot. Next I par cooked the prawns then removed them from the pan. I added a whole can of tomato paste, a little chicken stock and water to the pan.  Two chopped garlic cloves, salt, black pepper and basil. Bring to a simmer and add a bay leaf. Add water as needed for a thick sauce. 

I should point out right now that this made sauce that was too acid, too much tomato paste.  I needed to water it down and use a thickener to get a proper tomato sauce.  Half a can of tomato paste probably would have been about right.

Once I had a sauce, I had the penne pasta half cooked so I added the prawns to the sauce to finish cooking. I whisked up a vinaigrette from olive oil, canola oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. The lemon juice wasn't as successful in this vinaigrette as hoped.  White wine vinegar would have been better. The bin of precut salad in the fridge is so far working well. It's cheaper, fresher and better than the bags of salad.

A bit of fresh grated parmesan on the pasta and serve. It was good but the sauce was too intense. It should have been thinned with water and then thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment